Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sunday Reverse Brick

I was amused to discover that I finished last in my age group (4th out of 4) in this morning's Fort Worth Runner's "Club Lucky 7" race despite running a respectable (for me, anyway) 57:34 (8:12/mi).  That's what I get for racing with these speedsters. :-)

I ran this seven mile race last year, and although the starting line was moved from the River Plaza to Trinity Park, five of the seven miles were still on the Trinity Trails - so the 2009 course was "5/7-identical" to 2008.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able set a new PR today - my time was almost 2 minutes slower than last year.  Still, it was a pretty good performance considering that I did the sprint tri yesterday.

My splits and my speed & heart rate charts:




As you can see, I kept a fairly consistent pace for the entire distance.  I took short walk breaks at Miles 1.9,3,4, and 5.1 (which are included in splits for Miles 2, 4, 5, and 6.  Even with those walk breaks, I stayed below an 8:30/mi for those splits - NOT BAD!  I may have gone out a little (too?) fast in the first half mile before settling down.  However, I'm very happy with my strong finish - my last mile was the fastest of all of them.  I think I need to really consider doing walk-run for all of my longer runs - and longer may be defined as anything longer than 10K.

After the race, I met up with some friends and did a 42 mile bike ride on the Trinity Trails.  The ride was at a relaxing pace although I did do "Nice Hill" in Lake Benbrook Park a couple of extra times.  Overall, a solid weekend of races and training.  Looking forward to a light week coming up - Spring Break!

No comments: