Sunday, January 11, 2009

2009 is Gonna Rock

Happy (Belated) New Year!  My blogging took a serious hit with the holidays and the first week back from work after two weeks of well-deserved vacation time.  Luckily, unlike my blogging, I was able to keep up my workouts, and I can say with a straight face that my fitness level is at the same level or better than before the holiday madness began.

On the stress-fracture-recovery front, things are looking very good.  On December 31, I did my first  post-injury, non-treadmill run since November's DRC Half - a "quarter-marathon" in my neighborhood - 6.55 miles in 59:30.  I followed that up this past Friday with an 8.31 mile run in 1:17:32.  So my shin rehab is going well and I should be all set for next weekend's Too Cold To Hold 15K (9.3 miles) and the Lake Benbrook Half-Marathon at the end of the month.

Despite what I just wrote, the majority of my workouts for the last three weeks were not runs; they were spin class sessions.  2-3 hours during the week. On Saturdays,  two one-hour spin-classes with a 15-minute cycling warm-up and either more cycling or a quick treadmill brick-run for the 15 minutes between the classes.  All of the sessions were more-or-less the same, with average heart rates between 152-156 bpm - fairly intense (effective).

Swimming is definitely an area that needs more focus.  I did a couple swim sessions, but the longest distance was about 1,250 yards.  I need to get back into the pool with more frequency and longer durations/distances.

But, overall, I am feeling strong and very excited for a new year of fitness and competition! 

No comments: