Friday, January 23, 2009

Longish Swim, Redline Spin, Getting It In (When I Can)

Mon (1/19): After taking yesterday as a rest/recovery day (still in euphoria over my Too Cold To Hold performance :-), I headed to the pool at lunch. The goal: To swim at least 2,000 yds. Mission accomplished (in 43:39) but it wasn't easy. By the end of the fourth 500 yd set, I was feeling dizzy. I can't believe that I got motion sickness in a pool! You would think that I was swimming in the Atlantic or something with the way the room was spinning when I exited the water. Sigh ... I guess I need to take a Meclizine before any swims longer than 1,000 yds - for now anyway until I get this thing licked. Maybe I've just been out of the pool for too long. My splits:
  • 1st 500 yds: 10:24
  • 2nd 500 yds: 10:49
  • Water/AccelGel break: 0:47
  • 3rd 500 yds: 10:47
  • 4th 500 yds: 10:52
This is about 2 minutes slower than my PR pace, but definitely not too bad. Will work on increasing speed and adding distance in the weeks ahead.

Tue (1/20): Normal 60 minute spin class - average heart rate of 158 bpm. Maxed out my heart rate (to 183 BPM and held it there for almost 2 minutes) during Seal's ("Guy who sleeps with Heidi Klum" -Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock) "Crazy". I'm glad I made the push, but I was so beat up after the effort that I had to take it easy for the last 10 minutes of the session. Afterwards, instead of a brick run, I had to settle for a "brick inclined walk" on the treadmill - 1.5 miles at 4 MPH with the first 1 mile at a 10% incline which was gradually lowered during the final 1/2 mile. Total time: 22:15. Total vertical distance: 645 feet. Total calories burned: 235.

Wed (1/21): Had to take my parents to the airport (leaving Texas after an extended visit over the holidays) so I missed my normal spin class. So I dragged myself to the LA Fitness near my office and did my own spin session. 45 minutes of cycling at an average heart rate of 151 bpm. Not too bad. Afterwards, a quick 500 yd swim - 9:54.40 - definitely one of my faster pool sessions in recent memory.

Fri (1/23): I'm finishing up a two-day business trip to New Jersey.  I surprised myself when I was actually able to get up early and do 30 minutes on the hotel elliptical trainer and a little bit of strength training.  I was even able to squeeze in some breakfast before starting my morning with a 9:00 AM meeting.  It's the small victories ...

No comments: