Thursday, April 2, 2009

SEAL-Worthy?

In other news, last Friday, Lee and I signed up for the Navy SEAL Fitness Challenge. The event is on May 9th at the Keller ISD Natatorium (same venue as the St. Patty's/Monster Tri) and consists of:
  • 500 yd swim – Sidestroke or breaststroke only
  • [10 minute rest]
  • Push-ups – Max you can do in 2 minutes
  • Sit-ups – Max you can do in 2 minutes
  • Pull-ups – As many as you can do (not timed)
  • [4 minute rest]
  • 1.5 mile run
I've been doing so much (too much?) "swim, bike, run" so this looked like a good goal to work towards for increasing my pathetic upper-body strength. The web site notes that the standards that must be achieved to enter the SEAL training program (BUD/S) include the following:
  • 500-yard swim (using sidestroke or breaststroke) under 12 ½ minutes
  • 42 Push-Ups (in 2 minutes)
  • 50 Sit-Ups (in 2 minutes)
  • 6 Pull-Ups (no time limit)
  • 1.5 Mile Run under 11 minutes
Furthermore, the elevated SEAL standards for the PST, which statistically gives the candidate a much greater chance of completing BUD/S, include the following:
  • 500-yard swim (using sidestroke or breaststroke) under 10 minutes
  • 80 Push-Ups (in 2 minutes)
  • 80 Sit-Ups (in 2 minutes)
  • 11 Pull-Ups (no time limit)
  • 1.5 Mile Run under 10 minutes
I think I can handle the swim and run segments (though the necessary sub-6:40/mi run pace for the elevated SEAL standards will be a stretch), but my weakness will be in the push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups.  So, I'm going to start focusing on these areas (and practice my breaststroke) during my workouts in the weeks ahead.

Tuesday:  I got to LA Fitness before spin class and started with 20 push-ups.  That was about all I could do (maybe 5 more may have been eeked out, but whatever).  Next up: the pull-up station - which is not a true pull-up bar (has a "gap" between where you hang on).  I did 5 pull-ups, but I'm not sure if there were actually full/legal ones - I need to find a real pull-up bar.  Then, 17 more push-ups and about 40 sit-ups (I lost count :-P) and then 2 pull-ups before running to spin class.  After that, a solid 50 minute spin class (average heart rate of 156 bpm).  I finish the workout with a 500 yard swim (breakstroke only) in 9:57.  Pretty good (and probably would be even faster if I wasn't wearing baggy swim trunks).  After exiting the pool, some push-ups.  Not a very good performance - the session went something like: 3 push-ups, break, 2 push-ups, break, 2 push-ups, longer break, 5 push-ups .... probably 16-20 total.

Wednesday: Baseline run: 1.5 miles on the treadmill (no incline)  in 10:34 (7:03/mi pace). Not bad, but it will be tough to shave another 34 seconds off the time. After the run, I alternated between push-ups and sit-ups: 3-5 push-ups and then 10 sit-ups. Approximate totals: 15 push-ups and 30 sit-ups.  Finally, a 60-minute spin class (avg hr of 152 bpm) for some more cardio work (gotta prepare for this weekend's Fast & Furious Duathlon)

Thursday/Today: A little more cycling in the form of a 45-minute spin class (avg hr of 152 bpm).  Afterwards, about 500 yds of swimming - mix of freestyle and breaststroke and little sidestroke (which seems slow and inefficient compared to breaststroke). My watch died on me so no splits - time for a new battery! A set of push-ups after getting out of the pool ... 9 total. Uggh, I'm going backwards!  My arms still sore from Tuesday & Wednesday.  I think I'll take a break from the arm/chest work for a few days and try it again next week.

Overall, I still have a long ways to go with my push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups ... but at least it's a start and I have a baseline from which to work.  Hopefully, I'll make a lot of progress in the next five weeks.

No comments: