Sunday, January 31, 2010

Iron Distance Challenge


During the month of January, I participated in the Iron Distance Challenge on Serena's team ("Me, Myself & Tri"). Our team did great (final results won't be out later this week, but we were in first place with a comfortable margin as of Jan 24) and I did pretty well, too. My goal was to complete the distances of 4 Ironman triathlons (4 x 2.4 miles swim/112 miles bike/26.2 miles run) in 31 days. As you can see, I made it! (click to enlarge chart):


Not only is the Iron Distance Challenge a great cause (a donation is made to the charity of the winning team's/individual's choice) but the perfect motivator to kick-start the new year.

I had been taking it easy during the latter half of December - recovery/recuperation from White Rock Marathon and lots of well-deserved rest during the holidays. The IDC got me in the pool on January 1 ... and I finished up today with a long spin session to get the final 64 miles that I needed for the bike. (IDC counts stationary cycling at 18 miles/hour so that was 3 hours and 35 minutes on the spin bike!)

I look forward to re-joining my teammates next year for the 2011 Iron Distance Challenge.

No comments: