Saturday, April 26, 2008

Old College Tri


Derek and I completed the Old College Tri in Southlake this morning. 300 meter pool swim in the Southlake Carroll Aquatic Center, 12 mile bike (actually 12.29 miles), and 5K run (actually 3.05 miles). I had a sprint tri PR time of 1:08:42, which was good enough for 52nd place out of 394 finishers (there were almost 450 people in the race) and 17th out of 44 in my age group (Men 35-39). Derek would have been right on my heels if he hadn't started the swim about 8 minutes after me - he was 184th in the pool and I was 98th. Derek's time was 1:08:56 and 57th place.

Here were my splits:
  • Swim: 5:43 (1:55/100m pace)
  • T1: 1:38
  • Bike: 34:38 (20.8 mph average)
  • T2: 1:37
  • Run: 25:09 (8:07/mi pace)
  • TOTAL: 1:08:42
This is more than 3 minutes faster than the Saint Patrick's Day Tri which had a similar course. A PR (personal record) by a substantial margin.

The swim was a standard pool swim. Since we had two TNT practices at the Southlake Carroll Aquatic Center, I was familiar with the venue and natatorium. I hadn't swum in over a week so when Derek said he was going to do a warm-up swim, I did one too. I didn't think I swam that quickly (and I wasn't trying to) but it was still my fastest 300m tri swim to date. Not bad for slacking off in the swimming.

I had a really good time on the bike. My fastest average speed ever - the new tires definitely helped. My speed improved not just by a little bit but about 2 MPH(!) - for an average of 21.3 MPH per GPS (the bike was actually 12.29 miles - a little more than the advertised 12 miles). After seeing Derek's (even better) improvement on the bike, now I know I need to get new wheels (or a new bike :-) too.

My run was good but not great. I still need to work on my bike-to-run bricks. It just takes too long for my legs to loosen up after the bike and to get (consistent) speed.

Also, my transitions were slow - especially T2. Forgetting to take off my
sunglasses (and running back 25 yards to drop them off) probably cost me 10 seconds. The 5 seconds for putting on the Penn State T-shirt for the finish line photos was totally worth it, though! :-)

Overall, a great performance for me. A good course and the venue is close to my house which is a bonus. I'll definitely do this race again next year.

Results at http://www.doitsports.com/results/page.tcl?id=193811

No comments: