Thursday, July 17, 2008

Long-Range Goal

I'm putting a stake in the ground today. My long-range (next year) goal is to do the Redman Triathlon, an IronMan-distance race in Oklahoma City to be held in September 2009.

Reasons why I think this is a good plan:
  1. It's at the end of the summer so I'll have the entire '09 tri/bike season to prepare for it.
  2. It's next year so (hopefully) I'll have run a few marathons by then and have improved my running.
  3. It's in Oklahoma City (less than 4 hour drive) so I don't need to ship my bike and the travel logistics will be simplied. (Don actually has family in Oklahoma City so we might even take advantage of free lodging for the trip).
  4. It's easy to get registered. Unlike an official Ford Ironman, I won't have to try to sign up a year in advance. In fact, as of today, only about 2 months from this year's Redman (September 20) I could sign up for it and even get an early registration discount.
  5. As compared to an official "dot-M", it's a relatively inexpensive race - $275 for the IronMan-distance race. (Scott and Don tell me that a Ford Ironman race is $500+, especially after you get the extra T-shirt and order the DVD :-)
This race looks so interesting that I’d be seriously considering doing the “full aquabike” (2.4mi swim, 112mi bike) this September, if it weren't only 2 weeks before my Ironman Longhorn 70.3 (October 5). :-P

Okay, now all I have to do is train for it. :-)

No comments: