Thursday, July 3, 2008

Preparing to Sprint

Getting in my last few workouts before I rest up for Sunday morning's Pioneer Power Sprint tri in at Texas Women's University in Denton.

As promised (to myself) I went to spin class today after two days of slacking off. I was a little late, so I only got in about 35 minutes of cycling, but that's still pretty good. Average heart rate was a solid 156 BPM with a few spikes to the 169 BPM max

We had a new substitute instructor who was very demanding (good) but also insisted on doing very short "jump" intervals (in the saddle for 4 seconds, up out of the saddle for 4 seconds, repeat ad nauseum). DENIED. I really don't know what is the purpose of that move. It just screws up my cadence and hurts my knees. Hillwork is good and flat sprints are good. Not sure why the two need to be mixed with such frequency.

Between spin and the pool, I met another guy at LA Fitness who is also doing the Austin Ironman Longhorn 70.3 in October. Cool. Maybe someone else to join our tri training group.

For the swim, I started with a fast 300 yard swim (about what I'll need to do for Sunday's race) which I completed in 5:15. Not my fastest, but still very good. Afterwards, another 500 yd in 9:18. Again, a solid pace even though it was 20+ seconds off my PR for a set.

No comments: