Saturday, September 29, 2007

Unlearn, you must unlearn

Had a TNT swim clinic today. It was nice meeting my teammates and captains for the first time. The group was actually pretty large because this was a combined workout with both the Dallas and Fort Worth TNT Tri teams.

A LOT of swim drills. I am (was) a decent swimmer, but there is much room for improvement. Lengthening my stroke. Keeping my body more horizontal - i.e., keep head down and kick legs more so that hips won't sink. It was a very informative session, but frustrating.

It reminded me of a time a couple years ago when I tried to learn how to snowboard - I'm a decent skiier and "starting over" (and continuously falling on the ground) was no fun. I ended up dropping the snowboard at the bunny slope and going back to skiing blue diamonds, but for this swimming I have to make the effort to unlearn my bad habits and get better the right way. I guess I will be doing a lot of these practice strokes and kicks in the coming months.

We finished up the swim clinic with a relay race and I was the "anchor" for our team. We didn't come in first, but I got to know my teammates better and it let us end on a high note after 90+ minutes of drills!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This summer I noticed how poor my freestyle is. Same kinds of problems - sinking hips because I'm not breathing to the side. Simon's form is much better than mine (how sad is that?) Guess I need to go back to "Fish" at the Y (or is it "Minnow").

Wanger said...

I believe the current YMCA swim "rankings" are Polliwog, Guppy, Minnow, Fish, Flying Fish, Shark.

Not sure if they were named the same 25+ (gulp!) years ago. (I'm pretty sure "Porpoise" was in the list.)