Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Kellogg's K20 Protein Water Mix Review

Okay, so I'm an impulse shopper. Was at the grocery store a few days ago and picked up a few boxes of Kellogg's™ Special K2O™ Protein Water Mix.

I know that Consumer Reports (and other reviews) have lambasted the bottled variety (too much sugar and outlandish diet claims), but I think the drink mix is not bad. I mixed a packet of the iced tea variety with about 20 oz of water (directions suggest a standard 16.9 oz bottle, but I prefer a lighter flavor) and it tasted pretty good. You can definitely taste the whey protein in it, but it is not overpowering.

Unlike the sugar in the "pre-mixed" bottles, the mix uses Sucralose (Splenda) for its sweetener. So 30 calories, 0g sugar, 5g fiber, 5g protein ... and it tastes okay. And the mix is much cheaper than the bottles: about $4 for 7 packets/servings vs. $1.50 for a bottle. Thumbs up.

(Update: I've also tried the pink lemonade and strawberry-kiwi flavors - not bad, but the iced tea is better.)

No comments: