Sunday, December 16, 2007

Chilly Weekend

Saturday: I think my plan to skip the FWRC run, though disappointing, was the right one. It was very cold and windy today. So instead, I went to LA Fitness and did some running on the treadmill and most (the first 45 minutes) of the 9:15 AM spin class. Over an hour (7 miles and 900 feet of elevation) on threadmill and a solid workout on the bike. Can't complain.

Sunday: Attended the Santa Scurry 5K run in the morning. I couldn't participate in this event because I was watching Kimberly (note to self: buy jogging stroller), but I wanted to meet up with friends from Team-In-Training (my coach, Todd, was "Santa") and the Fort Worth Runners Club and cheer them on. Plus, the venue was only 5 minutes from my house. Derek did well, running a 7:53/mi pace. Cy from TNT was the official winner of the event, finishing in around 21:30 (all the GPS watches said the course was closer to 3.3 miles than 3.1), and Fiona from the FWRC was right behind him for "second place" and the first female. A few other runners (including Fiona) were faster than Cy, but due to missing signage at the turnarounds they ran a lot further than the actual course. This is the first year of the race, I'm sure they'll get the kinks worked out next year.

The weather actually warmed up in the afternoon - probably hit the mid-50s - so I actually rode a bit with my mountain bike around my neighborhood for about an hour with Kimberly in the child carrier in the back. Not a real workout, but it was nice to get moving and enjoy a respite from the cold.

Actually, this week's weather is suppose to be pretty nice with temps in the 60s - maybe even cracking 70 on Wednesday and Friday. I'll have to try to get in some biking or running to take advantage of the warmth. This week's only plan is for some consistent workouts before Christmas vacation.

No comments: