Sunday, December 2, 2007

USAT Rankings

Since my 2007 triathlon season is over, I surfed over to usatrankings.com and took a look at my scores.


As you can see, my performance steadily increased over the season. Hopefully, that will continue into next year.

So what do these numbers actually mean? It's kinda complicated. The USA Triathlon web site has a few pages explaining how those numbers are calculated, but here is how I understand it:

A triathlete's score for an event is the hypothetical "par time" divided by the participant's finishing time and then multiplied by 100. The "par time" is determined by some crazy techniques of looking at the scores and times of people who have done the race both in the past and this year and then doing some averages and other stuff. I understand it but can't easily explain it (see the links below). However, what I can do is use the Monster Tri as an example:

First, the formula

(par time) / (my time) = (my ranking) / 100

plugging in my numbers

(par time) / 71.5167 minutes = 0.676521

which, after a little math, means that USAT has determined that the par time for the 2007 Dallas Athletes Monster Sprint Tri is 48.38 minutes (or 48:23). Note that it is VERY difficult to meet (or break) the par time; the winner of the Monster Tri did it in 58:20 - so even that lucky person only scored a 82.9371!

If I get my scores to crack into the 70s next year, I will be very happy.

USAT Ranking info:

No comments: