Friday, December 28, 2007

Holiday Workouts

It's hard enough to work out during a vacation. It's even harder when you're traveling - my family and I are in the Seattle area for the holidays.

Luckily, somehow I’ve been able to visit the LA Fitness in Bellevue (about 3 miles away from my mother-in-law’s house) a couple times while here. The design for a downtown gym is definitely different from one in suburban Texas – it’s spaced out over four levels:

  • 2nd/main floor: entry, Kids Club, cardio equipment, aerobics classroom and weight machines
  • 3rd floor: free weights
  • 1st floor: locker rooms
  • basement: pool and spin classroom

And it was a pretty small & shallow pool - only 3 lanes and probably just 3 feet deep all the way (though Derek says that shallower pools offer more resistance). So the gym as a whole was a little claustrophobic, but everything was workable and I’ll have to admit that the windows/views overlooking the city while running on the treadmill were nice.

Nothing too hardcore training-wise, but if I can just maintain the status quo, I'll be very happy. So far, I’ve done a spin class, some treadmill running, and hit the pool. And my daughter has been enjoying the Kids Club facilities. I had to do something to counteract the big Christmas dinner at my brother-in-law’s house, dim sum, and trips to Old Country Buffet! :-P

No comments: