Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Breaking Up May Be Hard To Do, But Coming Back From A Long Break Is Harder!

Shock to the system! Getting myself back on the horse after two weeks of laziness – post-Austin recovery + biz travel to India. Anyway, here is what’s on my plate for this weekend:

Thursday evening: Friends of the River “Party In the Village” Run – Fort Worth.  My friend Roberto says it’s a “food and drink party that just happens to have a 3.4 mile run in the middle of it!” 

Saturday morning: Four Seasons Cool 5K/10K Run – Las Colinas (Irving). I’m doing both for a total of 15K of running fun at the Four Seasons Resort.  

Sunday morning: Monster Sprint Tri in Keller.  With my slacking off of training I'm probably not going to PR the course this time ... so I think I may dress up in a costume at T2 for the run.  If I can't have a good finishing time, then at least I can look good for the race photos. :-)

I did get in a couple of spin classes the week after my 70.3.  And I wasn't a total slug during my trip to India.  I had three sessions of approximately 60 minutes each on the hotel elliptical trainers/treadmills.  And I'm happy that I was able to get those in.

However, today, for my first real workout, I ran 5 miles with Derek, Jarrod, and Matt on the Campion Trails and it was TOUGH.  The temperature at 12:30 seemed much hotter than the advertised 79 degrees - maybe it was the humidity.  I ended up completing our 5 mile out-and-back route in 49:12 for a 9:51/mi pace, but it would have been much faster if I didn't have to stop several times after the 2.5 mile turnaround (at 23:19) to get my heart rate down.  I've had a nagging stomach ache for the last couple days and it started acting up for the last 2-2.5 miles.  I'm hoping that was the root cause of my less-than-stellar performance.

After the initial 2.5 turnaround point, I hit "LAP" every time I switched from walking to running


My heart rate kept spiking in the 180s.  Not good and unexpected since my pace while running was never higher tha n 8:30/mile for the last half of the run.



Oh well, hopefully I'll be better by the end of the week for the actual events.

No comments: