Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Trio of Four Seasons Cool October Runs


This morning I took a break from our two-day stay at Great Wolf Lodge - Grapevine and got in 10.3 miles of running in Las Colinas (Irving, TX) at the Four Seasons Cool October Run.  I did the Fun Run for a warm-up and followed it with the 5K and 10K races for 10.3 miles of running.

As advertised, it was quite cool - kinda chilly, actually - in the hour or so before the race.  I was wearing my 2007 DRC Half long-sleeve tech shirt as well as my T-shirt from Thursday evening's Friends of the River run, but I was still shivering.  Luckily, the Cool October Run race shirt was also of the long-sleeve variety so I just threw that on as another layer.

Details/Thoughts:

Fun Run: 0.97 miles (per GPS) in 8:32 (8:49/mi pace).  I ended up going a little faster than I planned but felt good.  There was a big hill right after the first right turn - good info to know as I assumed (correctly) that the 5K and 10K courses would also include this "early surprise".  The Fun Run turned out to be a great warm-up and I shed my layers of shirts for the other two runs.

5K: 3.24 miles (per GPS) in 25:50 (7:58/mi pace).  Place: 8th out of 28 in my age group; 111th out of 335 overall. MotionBased Info: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7046689 (no heart rate data because I forgot to put on my strap - d'oh!).  I think I did a good job with my pacing - 13:10 for the first half of the run and 12:40 for the second half for the desired negative split.

10K: 6.14 miles (per GPS) in 50:21 (8:12/mi pace).  Place: 8th out of 15 in my age group; 63rd out of 182 overall. MotionBased Info: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7046688. Similar to the 5K, I started off slowly and tried to build up my speed.  I think I accomplished that because my pace was fairly consistent.  In fact, the last half of the race was actually a lot faster than the splits shown below indicate because the return trip of the out-and-back course was mostly uphill.  Although, I really wanted to break 50 minutes for the 10K, all-in-all, I am very happy with my performance since I ran the 5K beforehand.



After the race, I feasted on bagels, fruit and grabbed some of bottled water to make my recovery drink (Accelerade mix combined with glutamine powder).  Pizza from i Fratelli was also available, but the line was quite long and I had to head back to the Great Wolf to pack up for an 11:00 AM checkout time.

Felt a little tired when it was all done, but I'm not sure if it was because of the run or if it was because I had to rush off to check out of our hotel room and then go to packet pickup for tomorrow's Monster Tri.

No comments: