Wednesday, November 5, 2008

On the Running DL; Bike & Swim Focus

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and put myself on the "disabled list" for running.  I've had pain in my left shin following my last several long runs (including Sunday's DRC Half) and even though it goes away after a day or so, it's recurrence is troubling.  With some Internet research and discussion with friends who've had similar conditions in the past, I am pretty sure that I have a stress fracture in my tibia (shin).

Anyway, I'm planning to lay off running for 4 weeks.  I'll do a 3 mile test run at the end of November and if I feel good, I'll sign up for the Dallas White Rock Half-Marathon (December 15).  Otherwise, no running or running races for me until 2009.

So with this restriction, I've been focusing on my swimming and biking.  So far this week:

Monday: A solid 2,000 yard swim in 42:39. My 500 yd splits:
  • 1st 500 yds: 10:20
  • 2nd 500 yds: 10:21
  • Water/AccelGel break: 0:30
  • 3rd 500 yds: 10:22
  • 4th 500 yds: 10:46
Tuesday: 75 minutes of spin (159 bpm avg hr)

Wednesday: 65 minute spin class (150 bpm avg hr)

So far, so good.  The spin classes don't seem to aggravate my shin and I have been walking (even up and down stairs) without pain for the last couple days.  Staying away from running will be difficult (never thought I'd say THAT before) but I know this is the only way to let the bone heal.

No comments: