Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Week

It must be a holiday week as I took both Sunday and Monday off.  I had better burn some calories before jumping into the holiday food fest. :-)

Tue, 11/25: 60-minute spin class (153 bpm avg heart rate).  No time to swim.  I was already taking a half-day off work (actually off the the rest of the week - woo-hoo!) to make it to my daughter's school's "Thankgiving Feast"

Wed, 11/26: 75-minute spin class (154 bpm avg heart rate). Again, no time to swim. Had to bring my daughter to her classmate's birthday party.

Thu, 11/27: Tried a couple of new things.  First, 20 minutes on the Stairmaster (156 bpm avg hr).  The first 12 minutes were at level "10" and then I backed it down to level "8".  This machine never gets any easier ... Then some weight work - mostly arms and chest - and a quick session on the rowing machine (stats: 6:08 minutes, 1388 meters, 83 calories).  That felt good.  I'll have to add the rower into my routine - it seems like a good complement to swimming as it works my back and triceps (swimming is mostly shoulders and chest).  I didn't start my Garmin recording for this activity so no stats, but I remember reaching 170-171 bpm by the end of the 6 minutes so I was definitely getting some cardio in as well.  After all of that, a 70-minute spin class (157 bpm avg heart rate) to finish the pre-Thankgiving meal workout!

Fri, 11/28: 2,500 yard swim in 53:35 with 500 yd splits of 10:30, 10:34.5, 10:31, 0:41 (break), 10:36, and 10:42.5.  I needed to finish my swim in under an hour because I had to beat the 9:00 "Aqua-Fit" class.  Next time I'll have to get to the pool earlier!  Not a bad performance (and a minute faster than Friday, November 14), especially when considering (1) this was my first time in the pool in over a week, and (2) my arms and chest were quite sore from yesterday's weight session. 

Sat, 11/29.  Another double-spin session morning.  12.5-minute warm-up before the first class, 1-hour class @ 9:15 AM, 15-minute intermission, and then the second 1-hour class at 10:30 AM with an extra 2.5 minutes tacked onto the end to make an even 2 1/2 hours total.  Stats and heart rate chart:



I can't believe I averaged 157 bpm for the entire two and a half hours. A very solid workout for the holiday weekend.

No comments: