Saturday, February 28, 2009

2009 Cowtown Half

I finished the Cowtown Half Marathon this morning in 1:57: Not quite a PR (I was hoping to get to 1:50), but I'll take it.

Met with part of the Ranch View Gang near the starting area for some photo ops and pre-race inspiration, but it turns out that some of the smarter members of the gang had been waiting in the Starbucks around the corner.

The day started off cold and very windy (22 MPH average with 30+ MPH gusts).  Panicked due to the wind and bundled up for the start.  Consequently, I was completely overdressed for the race - gloves, two long sleeve tech shirts and two pairs of pants over my tri-shorts.

The shirts came off at Mile 2 or 3. And if they weren't my good wind-pants (and my running gloves were stuck in the pockets), the pants would have been tossed as well.  So I definitely wasn't in my "comfort zone".

The course what I expected since it was the same as last year.  After the initial steep downhill from the Courthouse, a steady uphill climb to Mile 8, then downhill for a couple miles and finally uphill again when approaching downtown Fort Worth to the finish line.  Elevation map in the MotionBased stats below.

I didn't have a great race, but it was okay.  Lowlights: Had to stop at mile 0.5 to adjust my PattStrap which had slipped down (probably from rubbing against my running tights - another reason I shouldn't have worn long pants) from its above-the-knee perch.  Also had to use the "portolet" at the Mile 6 aide station - I think I was just tired and convinced myself that I needed the rest :-P.  However, despite these stops, I still had a sub-9:00/mi pace, so it was still a respectable performance by me - the total time being almost exactly what I did in the Benbrook Half last month and the DRC Half back in November.   I'd like to do more running training, but am worried about reinjuring my stress fracture.  We shall see ...

Oh well, I still had a great time and got to see my friends before, (a few) during, and after the race.  Lots of good refreshments at the finish and an awesome medal (the first of a series of five!) to boot.  I'm already looking forward to next year!


No comments: