Sunday, February 22, 2009

2009 Texas Motor Speedway Sprint Du

Great day for race this morning. I thought the weather might be on the cool side when loading up my bike this morning, but it turned out not too bad and very little wind (yay!) Big crowd – 350 participants. Ironhead Jack said it was the biggest duathlon in DFW since he ran the Du National Championships back in 1996(??)

I ended up finishing with a 1:19:47. I’m very happy with this result because I shaved over five minutes off my time from 2008's race - despite that last year the run legs were only about 1.8 miles each and this year they were the full 2 miles. Granted the lack of wind (which was very strong in 2008) also helped.

My official results:
  • 16th out of 30 in my age group
  • 87th out of 219 men
  • 94th place overall (out of 319 finishers)
  • Run 1 (2 miles officially): 15:36 (7:48/mi, 162nd place)
  • T1: 00:58
  • Bike (16 miles officially): 45:44 (21.0mph, 57th place)
  • T2: 00:54
  • Run 2 (2 miles officially): 16:33 (8:17/mi, 191st place)  
(Obviously, my running is still the weak link.)

Here are my stats as recorded by my Garmin Forerunner 305 (split times very close to the chip timed results):


I'm pretty happy with my level of effort as my heart rate was fairly consistent and not out of control (keeping my speed down for first run leg helped):


Lee passed me at Mile 1.25 of the first run leg – the 2:00 head start that my age group had over his evaporated. I trotted into transition and was changing my shoes as he was heading out on the bike course. My 7:43/mi run pace was a little slower than last year’s 7:35/mi, but not by much. First run leg speed chart:


After a sub-minute T1 (nice, smooth transitions), I started the three loops around Texas Motor Speedway for the bike. I passed Lee at about Mile 3 of the bike (south side of the Speedway) knowing full-well that he’d pass me again back on the run. The lack of wind really helped my speed (and maybe those new tires that we got last summer). My bike avg was 18.4 MPH last year ... this year, 21.3 MPH (per GPS). Woo-hoo! I might have been able to go even a little faster I hadn’t gotten two Charlie Horses – right calf during loop 2 and left calf during loop 3. Yep, I had forgotten to take my SaltSticks. Live and learn.

Bike elevation:


Fairly consistent bike speed:


Luckily, the cramps had pretty much subsided after T2 and the start of the second run leg. As expected, Lee re-passed me at about Mile 1.75 for a strong push in the final stretch. My run pace was 8:23/mi per GPS (vs. 8:37/mi in 2008) so while still lumbering, it was actually a stronger finish than I felt it would be.  Second run leg speed chart:


In the final results, Lee finished in 67th with his great runs. My friend Archie, who I saw at many races in 2007, is back in DFW after moving out of state last year and obviously has been training hard ... he crushed us both at 36th place and a 1:13:49 time. Jenn, my spin LA Fitness instructor, had a good race as well and finished in 5th place in her age group.

Full results at: http://www.mychiptime.com/searchevent.php?id=3396

Next up: The Cowtown Half Marathon

No comments: