Friday, February 6, 2009

Multisport A-Go-Go

(Or "Stimulating the Economy with Race Entry Fees")

I just registered for the Ironhead Texas Motor Speedway Sprint Duathlon (Feb 22) and Dallas Athletes St. Patrick's Sprint Tri (Mar 15).
So let the 2009 multisport season begin! Who's going to help me kick it off? :-)

A quick week for workouts:

Monday: 1,000 yard swim.  Splits: 10:27 + 10:54 =21:21 for the total time.

Tuesday: 1 hour of spin.  149 bpm average heart rate - so a little lower than normal intensity, but still a solid class.  Followed up the cycling with a 500 yard swim in 9:54.  My first sub-10:00 set in quite some time.  That is encouraging but I really need to ramp up the distance.

Wednesday: 75 minutes of spinning madness.  155 bpm with no drops below 140 in the final hour.  Very consistent effort.

Thursday: Wanted to do a reverse tri today, but the swim fizzled out.  Started with a 2-mile treadmill run.  Completed it in 17:47 at an average heart rate if 166 bpm - the effort was a lot harder than the 8:54/mi pace indicates because I had a 5% incline for more than half of the run.  After a quick 1:24 "transition" (stopping the treadmill, grabbing my stuff, heading downstairs, and settling on the spin bike), I did a 45-minute spin class, which also ended up being a higher effort at 159 bpm average.  The post-bike swim started off well, but after a couple of laps, my shoulder developed an "interesting" pain.  I switched to breast stroke to try to get in more time in the pool, but after three straight days of cycling, my back just didn't want to arch that way when coming up for air.  So in the end, it was only about 350-400 yd in the pool, and it was slow and inconsistent.  Disappointing, but the run and spin felt great (or as great as a 64 minute 161 bpm avg hr workout can feel ...)

Friday: OFF DAY!  All I did was register for races and rested up for the weekend.  I have some tough training planned for Saturday and Sunday.

[Haha, my needling paid off.  Matt is joining me for the TMS Du.  Derek is in for the St. Patty's Tri.  And Lee and my spin instructor are in for both.  Now about those stimulus checks ...]

No comments: