Saturday, August 16, 2008

Mini Du today; Tri tomorrow

Did another mini duathlon right in my neighborhood this morning. Needed a short(ish) workout at high intensity and these run-bike-run efforts always seem to do the trick. Probably still a little tougher of a workout than I should have done (don't want to wear myself out before tomorrow's race), but oh well the long-term goal is still getting prepared for the Ironman Longhorn 70.3 in October so I can't take too many days off.

The route was very similar to the mini-du I did back on July 4. Started with a 1.1 mile run around the block, followed by a 12.5 mile bike through the neighborhood, and ended with another lap of that 1.1 mile route.

Here are the stats for the workout:


Compared with the results from July 4, my first run was exactly the same speed (7:16/mi pace), the bike was quite a bit faster (19.7 vs. 18.6 MPH) and also a quarter-mile longer, but the second run was slower (8:20 vs. 8:08/mi pace). Transitions were about the same. So, overall, my time this morning was almost a minute faster (57:32 vs 58:30) despite the slightly longer course.

On the downside, my heart rate was quite high - averaging 165 BPM.

This is quite a bit higher than the July 4's effort (154 BPM) with the biggest difference being during the bike leg (162 vs 149 BPM avg HR). So while I was faster today than last six weeks ago, I was definitely pushing hard to meet that goal.

Not bad for an hour-long workout on what I had originally planned as an off/light day. I'll be relaxing and recuperating this afternoon and tonight I'll pack up for tomorrow's Take On The Heat sprint tri up in The Colony, TX.

No comments: