Monday, August 11, 2008

Productive lunch break

Had a productive lunch break today. I was able to (1) mail out some bills and a package at the post office, (2) stop by Bicycles Inc to get new Velox rim tape for my rear wheel, (3) swam 2,000 yards in 43:19.5 at LA Fitness (splits:10:33, 10:53, 10:49, 11:04.5). Not super fast, but a good start on my comeback from traveling/vacation swim training oblivion.

The reason for item (2) was because I actually gotten flat (rear) tires after 3 of my last 4 rides. Luckily, the flats didn't occur during those rides, but instead appeared the next morning. After some careful analysis, I concluded that there wasn't anything wrong with my tire and it seemed unluckily (or very very unlucky) that I would have three bad tubes in a row. A post-mortem of the "holey" tubes showed that all of the punctures occured on the rim side of the tire. Sure enough, the original rim tape inside the tub had failing/failed adhesive and was sliding around in there. Most likely my tubes had rubbed against a rough edge of a spoke point and developed their holes in that manner. Problem (hopefully) solved for $4.50 + tax.

No comments: