Saturday, August 23, 2008

Neighborhood Half-Marathon

Don T, Jonathan G, Scott, Jarrod, and Derek are all up in Wichita Falls, TX this morning for the Hotter Than Hell bike ride. Some to do the full 100 miles and Jarrod & Derek planning to do the 100K. I wish I could join them, but family commitments keep me from being gone both days this weekend. (I'm planning on attending the Texas Man Pre-Tri Workout tomorrow morning).

By combining and explanding routes that I run in the past - see Long(ish) Run and the Neighborhood 10K - I was ended up doing a 13.05 mile route. Just a little bit shy of a full half-marathon.

Unfortunately since I overslept - Waking up at 6:30 AM on a Saturday is oversleeping? How warped is that?!? - I started about an hour later than I would have liked, and only a few miles into the run I was already feeling the August Texas heat. Still, I was able to keep a 9:00/mi pace through the first 6 miles and a 9:57/mi pace through 10.75 miles. However, the final 2.3 miles was a complete walk-fest. Total time: 2:22:49. Overall pace: 10:57/mi.

Thoughts during the run:

  • Mile 1: I'm going slower than normal, but that's okay I'm planning to go for a long distance.
  • Mile 3: Wow, it feels pretty hot, this might be painful.
  • Mile 6: I'm right at 9:00/mi pace, but this is not going to continue. Time to walk for a bit.
  • Mile 8.3: Okay, I'm just going to walk down this hill (so I don't aggravate my latent ITBS) and then start running again at the bottom.
  • Mile 10.75: I'm really out of gas. Time to walk.
Training run speed:


Elevation profile (I'll have to remember that it is uphill almost all of the way until Mile 10! Total elevation change was about 590 feet.):


Heart Rate (My average was 157 BPM, but that was mostly because of all the walking. Heart rate during run segments was 170-175.):


Route map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://pages.andrien.com/2008-08-23VOWSHalf-Marathon.kml

Oh well, at least I finished the full distance. That's the great thing about running outdoors - you're forced to at least walk back home. If I was on a treadmill, I would probably have quit at mile 6!

This is the farthest that I've run since the Lone Star Triathlon, and while it was a mediocre time/pace this is a good base to build upon.

Only six weeks left before Ironman Longhorn 70.3 - time to kick the training into high gear!

No comments: