Sunday, January 20, 2008

IT Band Syndrome

Yep, I think it is pretty clear I have that I have IT Band Syndrome.

No, I'm not talking about the urge to play "Guitar Hero" with four other programmers (although I probably have that syndrome too). IT (iliotibial) Band [Friction] Syndrome is a fairly common knee injury/ailment that afflicts runners. There are several causes of it including ramping up mileage too quickly and running on uneven surfaces or down hills. I was guilty of both of these.

Unfortunately, the only "treatment" at this time is to stop running. After the IT band heals up somewhat, I can try to avoid future injury by stretching and targeted strength training.

Some links about ITBS:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Andy. I talked with one of my coaches and he suggested the foam roller. It hurt like hell but I hope it will help. If not, I'll have to take another week or two off and try again.