Thursday, January 3, 2008

Spin Bikes

Squeezed in another workout yesterday. Caught the last 45 minutes of a spin class at the Bellevue LA Fitness and then just stayed on the bike for another 45 minutes myself. I'm quite pleased considering it was after *six* days off.

On a related note, one thing that I recently realized is that the cooler winter weather is really screwing up my triathlon training. While I'm still going to the gym regularly (these pesky holiday/travel interruptions notwithstanding) and I've ramped up my running (Cowtown Marathon in February), all through the summer I was doing 4+ hour/60+ mile bike rides every weekend ... and that hasn't happened since before Thanksgiving.

This wouldn't be a problem except that I'm doing a half-Ironman triathlon in less than 3 months, and the "Long Slow Distance" (LSD :-P) is critical in building up aerobic capacity. (Note to self: never sign up for a long-distance tri or biking event early in the season; I'll be much better prepared for it in late summer/early fall).

So, as an alternative, I ordered/purchased a spin bike this past weekend: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11229007

I heard some very persuasive arguments about why I should get a road bike trainer instead (cheaper: $250-300 vs $700; log hours on "your own bike") - and I will look into them in the future but these reasons sealed the deal for me:
  1. Zero set-up time. Trainer set-up may only take 5-10 minutes, but that still may be 5-10 minutes too much. Convenience minimizes workout inertia.
  2. Unlike my road bike, the spin bike will stay indoors so it won’t get dirty. This means that I can put it in any room of my house - i.e., the media room. (I'm thinking "Spin and a Movie" - spin bike + Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Trilogy = 12-hour, 200-mile, bike ride!)
  3. My wife gave her thumbs-up. She wants something "sturdy" and wants to ride it too. (And if I get a trainer later, we can "ride" together.)
  4. It's from Costco - with their awesome return policy, if I don't like it, back it goes. :-)

Hmmm, now I own a $350 bike for races and a $700 bike that goes nowhere. That's so messed up ...

18 comments:

Dave said...

Andy, you nailed it with #1 - the setup can often be the deal-breaker when deciding whether to ride the trainer or not!

Anonymous said...

I just got a spin bike today at Costco. It was the Spinner Velo XT Star Trac. The fly wheel on the bike has some pitting which causes the spin not to be smooth when the resistance knob is turned. It is a bit annoying with a friction sound. Other than that it seems to work
OK.

Wanger said...

So far the bike seems pretty good to me. I agree that there is a friction sound (from the pad rubbing against the flywheel) but it is quieter than the "Kaiser" spin bikes at my gym. And I don't notice it anyway because I usually have music or the TV on while riding.

The main annoyance that I have with the bike is that it takes too many turns of the resistance knob to adjust the tension. It makes it a little cumbersome to quickly go from "flat road" to "hill".

Just keep the box in case you end up deciding to return.

Anonymous said...

I returned a Champion spinner bike to Costco after almost a year, when the resistance system (felt pads) developed a squeak that wouldn't go away (even though the company that made it did). Had receipt, didn't need the box. I wouldn't have disassembled the bike anyway. I'm researching the Star Trac which is new in my Costco, so the input is appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I just bought same spin bike at Costco. I haven't taken it out of the box and wanted to know if pedals flip over for standard clip in with cycling shoes? It was tough to tell on the demo at the store. Thanks for any help.

Wanger said...

Yes, the pedals flip over, and you can use SPD-type cleats with it or just use the cages with regular running shoes.

It also has a standard seat post so that you can swap in another seat, but I've found the stock seat to be fine.

More info/specs at http://www.ironmanfitness.com/product.php?id=crossover&cat=bikes

Danielangelena said...

Natural weight-loss supplements can be particularly useful for women that are diagnosed as obese, since they can help counteract hunger pangs and cause the nutritious eating that's so crucial for practically any weight reduction program. Learn more about yoga ebook on this link.


Mackenzie Rodriguez said...

Tendon injuries can happen whether the tendon is overworked or overstretched online.

Valentino thomas said...

Home remedies for weight loss can be effective in getting rid of extra pounds. If you are curious to know more about abs workout, find out here.

joseph taxton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kundlireading said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kundlireading said...

Most importantly, curcumin is being studied for its ability to strengthen blood vessels. The fatty deposits in the arteries that can form clots are likely linked to heart problems. Interested to know more about health supplements? Browse this site.

joseph taxton said...

There are some inherent differences between SARMs and anabolic steroids. If you are curious to know more about beginner SARMs cycle, visit this site right here.

vicotria grayson said...

There are several reasons why you might be interested in learning how to cure a bladder control products, and if you are a man there are many options available to you.

Augustine Benjamin said...

These are the men who do not know that the drug has any side effects. These men may not be aware of the risks of the drug and the FDA's warnings about the adverse effects of the drug. If you are curious to know more about tadalafil, read me.

jackson rohanda said...

Shop Brazil nuts online and get yourself started on a healthy and nutritional diet today. Take advantage of all the extra benefits of these nuts and enjoy eating delicious nuts throughout your diet. Read me to know more about best brazil nuts.

Maria Garcia said...

The general notion is that when people are receiving regular screenings, following their prescribed medications, and taking recommended vaccinations, overall health can either be fully prevented, or in the best cases, at least well managed before they cause serious problems. If you want to get more details about healthy lifestyle, you may visit on health-and-wellness.

charliesmith said...

This is one of the most important tips that can help you to reach your fitness goals. There are many different kinds of diet plans, from low calorie and fat-free diets to high protein and complex carbohydrate diets. For more details about mental disorders, pop over to these guys.