Thursday, August 30, 2007

LA Fitness Brick

Don and I did a spin class then treadmill at LA Fitness. Don is recovering very well from his broken clavicle and was able to get in a good workout on the stationary bike.

45 minutes of a good spin workout (actually, more like 43 minutes - I skipped the stretching and cool-down at the end). Kept the heart rate up during the various intervals (157 bpm average, 177 max):



Afterwards, we went upstairs to the cardio area of the gym and I ran a 5K (3.1 miles) on the treadmill while Don did some jogging as well. I did the 5K in 26:43 - which works out to a 8:37/mi pace or 6.96 mph. This is faster than I did the 5K for the Take On The Heat Tri just a few weeks ago so I am very pleased with the run progress. My heart rate was high - higher than the bike (169 bpm average, 182 bpm max!) - but felt manageable, and I could even chat with Don while running.

Granted, the treadmill offers nearly optimal running conditions - a perfectly flat course, cushioned surface, air conditioned/fanned environment, and a constant pace once it's "dialed in" - but it is still helping my overall run speed.

Maybe after the Texas Man tri, I'll start setting an incline when doing future treadmill runs.

No comments: