Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bonked

Worked it a little to hard today and bonked as a result.

Started a reverse tri at LA Fitness. Ran hard for 2 miles (7:00/mi pace) on the treadmill and then joined Don and Wilhe for the spin class. About 30 minutes into it, I think I pushed it too hard and felt a little faint. Even Don, Wilhe, and our instructor could tell - they said my face "turned white" and my eyes got bloodshot! After that, I took it a lot easier - you can see my lowered heart rate after the 45-minute point of the workout - and recovered somewhat as a result.



Looking back, the problem probably resulted from a combination of several factors - not enough breakfast (just a granola bar), limited nutrition during a hard workout (one AccelGel), and a very tough (continuous) run and cycling session.

The episode was definitely not pleasant so I'd like to avoid doing that again in the future!

I did a cool-down in the pool and felt much better. Was even able to swim (slowly) about 750 yds.

No comments: