Saturday, July 28, 2007

Garmin Forerunner 305

Picked up a new gadget this week. I picked up a Garmin Forerunner 305 - following the lead of Jonathan (who has one), Derek (has Garmin Forerunner 205 - same form factor, but no heart rate monitor), and Don (has Garmin Edge 305 - similar, but larger and optimized for cycling).

After using it for a 5K practice run and the Goatneck 100K, my thoughts are pretty much in line with the other reviews out there. It gives great heart rate and GPS info - I love seeing the Google maps via MotionBased. Its elevation sensor is not very accurate (the Edge 305 doesn't suffer from this problem since it combines the GPS elevation with a barometric altitude sensor). It is fairly comfortable to wear despite its "largish" size.

I wish it had more accurate elevation readings like the Edge 305 and I also wish it was completely waterproof so that I could swim with it (it is rated at only 30 minutes at 1 meter and the manual explicitly says that "this product is not intended for use with swimming").
Other than that, it is a great device and a great addition to my training arsenal.

No comments: