Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Whey Protein

After several discussions with teammates about various post-workout recovery meals/supplements, and all coming to the conclusion that protein should be a part of it, I decided to give the whey protein thing a whirl.

So I went ahead and got some "Body Fortress" brand whey protein from the Roanoke Wal-Mart. It was $12.97 for 2 pounds, but they also had a 5 lb can for just over $28.

1 scoop has 23 grams of protein, 1 gram of carbs, 110 calories, 55 mg of sodium, 230 mg of potassium, and only 1.5 grams of fat (.5 grams of saturated fat). I think if you added some complex carbs (a sandwich on wheat toast or a good energy bar) you would have a decent post-workout snack/lunch.

Anyway, I got the chocolate flavor and it doesn't taste bad at all. I mixed it with milk and it tasted like chocolate milk (although not quite as sweet - some might want to add some Splenda). But what I really liked was adding a scoop to a glass of caffeine-free Diet Coke - looks a little disgusting, but it was actually a very tasty "Chocolate Coke". :-)

No comments: