Thursday, March 13, 2008

Gearing Up for Tri Season '08

I'm getting excited. This Saturday's Dallas Athletes St. Patrick's Day Sprint Tri will be my first triathlon of 2008. Unfortunately, it's only a sprint distance tri (300m swim, 12mi bike, 5K run) - I wish I could have something longer as a stepping stone to my half-Ironman at the end of this month. However, I am still psyched about the start of "Tri Season 2008"!

Monday: I did a 3,000 yard swim - completed in 1:06:02 with splits of:

  • 1st 500 yds: 10:50
  • 2nd 500 yds: 11:01.5
  • 3rd 500 yds: 10:58.5
  • 4th 500 yds: 10:56
  • Accel Gel & water break: 0:30
  • 5th 500 yds: 10:56.5
  • 6th 500 yds: 10:48.5

This is one of my slower swims for this distance in quite a while, but only by a minute or two and it was after a tough weekend of cycling and running.

Tuesday: Decided to concentrate on cycling today; I'll save the multisport workout for Thursday. Did a solid 45-minute spin class and then continued on by myself for another 35 minutes ... 1 hour, 20 minutes total. As they say, it's tough to work out by yourself, and sitting on a stationary bike in an empty classroom is about as lonely as it gets. But I am motivated - by motivated, I mean worried that I'm not ready to do the 56 miles of a half-Iron - so I actually kept the intensity up. Average HR during spin class: 152 bpm, Average HR during solo cycling: 156 bpm. Mission accomplished.


Wednesday: Busy at work and with home life. Took a day off from working out and had a sushi buffet lunch instead.

Thursday: Multisport workout. Started with 20 minutes on the StairMaster. Haven't been on that machine in months and it still whips me. Good ... don't want to get cocky. :-) After that, a 45-minute spin class (average heart rate: 152 bpm), an additional 15-minutes of cycling and then 2.5 miles of running on the treadmill (done in just over 20 minutes at an 8:10/mi pace) for a solid brick.

The run at the end was pretty tough (note heart rate climb - 164 bpm average), but that was to be expected since it followed an hour and 20 minutes of stair climbing and cycling. So a 1 hour, 40 minute workout.

Taking a break tomorrow (Friday). Going to pick up my packet at Bicycles Inc. in Keller at lunch time and then get all my tri gear packed up in the afternoon or evening. Woo-hoo, the adrenaline rush begins!

No comments: