Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Back On The Horse (Or At Least The Elliptical)

After the tri, I was planning/expecting to take it easy for a few days for recovery, but I actually felt pretty good on Monday. The only parts that hurt (a little) were my shoulders and lower back from the bike portion. I still should have taken the day off, but since I planned to have an off-day on Tuesday, I decided to do a little swimming at lunchtime. It was slow-going and I only did about 800 meters, but it was very rejuvenating.

Tuesday came around and Jonathan wanted to go bike shopping, so Don and I met him at the local bike shop for lunch. He got measured/fitted, got quotes for a few models, and then we ate some (okay, maybe a lot of) Asian buffet. That was a mistake because later that afternoon Don and I decided to do some bike riding around my neighborhood after work. Since it was after 4:30 PM, the Texas sun was quite hot - and the orange chicken and California rolls were weighing me down. We got in about 12 miles in 50 minutes (with a few decent hills) before I had to go pick up KC from day care.

Today, the swimming was a little easier. Did about 1,300 meters in about 45 minutes with various breaks, but it felt good to put in some good laps. I also timed myself for two 300 meter runs and did them in about 7:15 each time. My goal is to be able to do 300 meters in 6:30 during training (no swim cap and baggy swim trunks) so that I can do the 300 yard swim portion of the upcoming Pioneer Power Sprint Tri in 6 minutes or less.

Since my next tri is rapidly approaching (and I'm still entertaining the thought of doing an Olympic length tri in mid-July), I really need to ramp up my training. So tonight I added some elliptical trainer time to the mix. I was able to do 1.03 miles (at highest ramp and resistance) in 30 minutes. Just a week ago, it took me about 32 minutes to do 1 mile so I am getting faster/better. :-)

I'm going to try to do the elliptical at least 3 times every week in order to improve my running. I'd try to run outside, but it is just too hot at lunchtime and after work. Additionally, the mornings aren't convenient - except for Saturday and Sunday - but those are the mornings that I plan to bike (to avoid traffic).

No comments: