Thursday, June 21, 2007

Busy week

Busy week at work and home so not much time to post. But I have been keeping up with the workouts! :-)

After all the rain & thunderstorms during last weekend, which limited me to the in-home elliptical trainer, I was happy to start swimming and running again on Monday. Did 1,000 meters of swimming at North Lake College then ran for about 1.25 miles (two loops around the small lake/pond on campus) with Jarrod, Derek, and Don. And then swam another 250 meters to cool off. A good workout, but I ended very tired and the times were not good.

On Tuesday, I finally broke down and joined the LA Fitness gym near my house (I had used it last month on a week-long trial pass). Did about 1,500 yards of swimming and then filled out all the membership paperwork. On Wednesday, I went there and did 30 minutes on the StairMaster (of which 10 minutes were at level 10 - and it goes to 20! - and the other 20 minutes at level 6 - this machine is still TOUGH) followed by 1,000 yards in the pool. Their pool still feels small, but I love how it is completely empty (as is much of the gym) during lunch hours. At North Lake, I have to share a lane almost every time these days.

Today, I did another swim-run at North Lake. Swam 1,500 meters with some breaks every 500 or so to listen to tips from Jonathan and Jarrod's Team-In-Training tri coach who had met them there. Followed that up with the same (approximately) 1.25 mile run we did on Monday. This time the run was much easier than it felt last time - we finished it in about 12 minutes. It could be the cooler weather. Derek is going to bring his GPS watch to the run next time so we can measure the exact distance.

Jarrod gave me an old pair of aero-bars today to use on my road bike. I'm going to install them Friday at lunch time so I can try them out this weekend and use them for the next tri. Also, Jonathan's road bike is ready at Mad Duck Sports (he ordered it last week) so I'm going with him in the afternoon to help him bring it back and also to pick up some a CO2 inflator/cartridges for our upcoming ride.

Other than these activities, I'll be taking tomorrow off to rest up for Saturday's Cow Creek Country Classic bike ride in Waxahachie, TX. Don and I are planning to do the 100 mile route (and there is a 75 mile option as well). I haven't rode my bike since last Tuesday (June 12) so hopefully I won't fall off! ;-)

No comments: