Sunday, June 10, 2007

First Tri Complete!

Well, I am officially a triathlete! I finished my first tri today, completing the 800 meter (1/2 mile) swim, 27 km (16.74 mile) bike, and 5 km (3.1 mile run) of the Metroplex Sprint Tri in 1 hour, 50 minutes, and 42 seconds.

This time got me 59th out of 62 (yay, I wasn't last) in the 35-39 men’s age group, and overall, 440th of 506 finishers (with 559 total participants counting the DNF's). My teammate, Jarrod, was 45th out of 52 in the 30-34 men’s age group and 376th overall with a 1 hr, 43 min time (good job, Jarrod). Here are my splits:

  • Swim: 17:29.3 (2:11 for every 100 meters)
  • T1: 3:37.4 (swim-to-bike transition)
  • Bike: 53:54.3 (18.7 mph)
  • T2: 1:13.8 (bike-to-run transition)
  • Run: 34:39.9 (11:06/mile)
[Full results (including the winner’s insane times) at http://www.doitsports.com/results/page.tcl?id=43446.]

In terms of time, overall, I did better than I expected - the swim and bike times were better than my normal speeds (albeit the bike segment was much shorter than any of my distance rides). However, I think I wore myself out and didn't have enough energy left for the run and had to walk 12-15 times during the 5K. At any rate, now I know what kind of speed/times "real" triathletes can do - and even though I'll never come close to the winner's 1 hour, 8 minute time, I can now set some realistic targets for improvement.

Jonathan was very helpful as chauffeur (hauling me and Jarrod - and all our gear - to and from the race), spectator, and videographer. I hope I can watch the tape sometime soon and see what was going on around me - and how quickly the top finishers got of the water, finished transitions, etc.
Here are some of the random thoughts that ran through my head during the race:

  • Swim (about 2/3 done, glancing at my watch that read 12:xx): 12:(something)? That can't be right, this swim is fast - maybe too fast!
  • Swim (exiting the water): Hmm, that wasn't too bad. Hey, there's Jonathan at the top of the ramp - smile and wave to the camera.
  • T1: Ouch, my feet hurt (from jogging on the pavement in the transition area)! Oops, almost forgot to put on my helmet and glasses.
  • Bike (starting): What's that clanging sound? - oh no, bike computer sensor must have been bumped by my neighbor. [Stop and fix at mile 3]. Oops, now I moved it too far, no speed reading. [Stop and redo it again, clanging returns]. Forget it, I'll figure out my speed later from the splits - let's not let anyone else pass me (about 20 bikes have already)
  • Bike (midway): Dang it, lots of people are passing me. I'm too slow. Note to self: Must get aero-bars before my next tri. I just got passed by a 58-year-old. [Race ages are marked on entrants' right calves]. Hope I'm still able to do this in 21 years.
  • Bike (2/3 done, accelerating UP a hill): Hey, I got my second wind. Now *I* am passing people. I like this. I just passed the 58 year-old who passed me earlier. [I'm in no way gloating - his wave started the race about 4 minutes after I did - so he is still way ahead of me.]
  • T2: Let's make this fast. Lose the helmet, lose the glasses, swap bike shoes for running shoes. Time to go!
  • Run (starting): Oh boy, already tired after the first 150 yards. Gotta walk. Not good.
  • Run (midway): I guess my second wind is gone ... and there ain't gonna be a third wind :-(
  • Run (midway): My sweat-soaked T-shirt is uncomfortable (making me hot) and must weigh three pounds. Next time, I'll get a tri-belt and pin the number to that and go shirtless.
  • Run (3/4 done): Did the announcer just say that pizzas are on the way? Greatness!
  • Run (250 yards to go): No more walking, let's end strong. Hey, there's Jonathan and Jarrod ... and the FINISH LINE!
I have tons of thoughts running through my head about what I did wrong and what I can improve and already looking forward to the next event. But this is just my perfectionist and competitive nature coming out. I really am very pleased with the results and still smile thinking about all that I've accomplished in only two months.

In early April, I was a couch potato (or at least a rusty, somewhat-out-of-shape, 30-something, former runner/biker guy). Today, I am a triathlete. :-)

No comments: