Monday, June 25, 2007

Lightning and Shopping

I was pleasantly surprised when I awoke Monday morning to find that I was completely recovered from the Cow Creek century ride. Even my back that was VERY sore for the last 40 miles felt no worse for the wear.

I went to the North Lake College natatorium to do the lunch time swim after a bunch of morning meetings and the skies were pretty grey. There might have even been a raindrop or two as the lifeguards opened up the pool at 11:30 – but, hey, we’re already wet ... we’re IN THE POOL!

Got in about 350 meters when a loud siren started going off. Lightning Alert! ... everyone out of the water. All the patrons were a little bitter and disappointed because the pool would be shut down for at least 30 minutes, yet a look at the sky told us that the bad weather was already almost past us.

So I decided to take matters into my own hands. There is another branch of LA Fitness about a mile up the road from my office so I put on a t-shirt, put a towel on the driver’s seat and drove over there. I was able to get in an additional 1,250 meters before 12:30 arrived and I had to go and get ready for my afternoon appointments.

I also finished up some “tri shopping” and picked up an Innovations Air Chuck CO2 inflator and cartridges (no more carrying a pump), a race belt with loops for gels (no more pinning race number to my shirt), SaltStick electrolyte pills, and an AeroDrink water bottle (so I can rehydrate without having to let go of the handle/aerobars and reach down for water). Hopefully all this stuff will arrive before my next tri – this coming Sunday, July 1(!)

No comments: