Saturday, June 2, 2007

Mesquite Rodeo Bike Ride

Had a great ride today. Don and I did the Mesquite Rodeo Bike Ride this morning.

  1. The weather was awesome. Started out cloudy (but no rain!) and ended up being sunny by the end of the ride.

  2. The 56-mile course was pretty well laid out with good traffic control and good rest stops. Some parts of the course had rough roads, but I guess nothing is perfect.

  3. I finished the 56-mile route (my bike computer said 56.5) in 3 hours and 34 minutes. Averaged over 16 mph even with the breaks.
I was very pleased with my time as it was more than 45 minutes faster than my Cross Timbers Classic "50 mile" time for a slightly longer ride. I think the improvement could be attributed to several factors:
  1. Hopefully, I'm in better shape than I was two weeks ago.

  2. The Mesquite Rodeo Bike Ride course was fairly flat - I had many flat or slight decline stretches where I was doing 18-20 mph. Although there were a few hills (some big) in the last 6-8 miles.

  3. Funny story: During a discussion with Derek about biking, he mentioned that tire pressure is important - 115 psi vs. 90 psi makes a big difference. While pumping up my tires last night with my new pump, I realized that my tires were probably around 40 psi - I had pretty much rode 50 miles at the Cross Timbers Classic on two flat tires! Fully inflated tires definitely made this ride went much easier.

  4. Hopefully, I'm in better shape than I was two weeks ago.
I still don't think I'd like to do a full 100 miles for the Hotter'N Hell race in August, but with my improved times, at least I can expect to finish the metric century (100 km or 62 miles) route before noon and thus avoid the worst of the heat.

Ride Review:
  • Course: 3.5/5 - fast, fairly flat course, but lots of rough roads in the middle; good traffic control; good start area with National Anthem
  • Rest Stops: 5/5 - excellent stops; well spaced-out; great snacks and drinks, no complaints
  • Logistics: 5/5 - easy same-day registration, reasonable entry fee, could pay by credit card, decent T-shirt, good post-race lunch (Outback Steak House chicken sandwich, assorted chips, Blue Bell ice cream, sodas and other drinks); easy to get to - right off 635!
  • Overall: 4.5/5 - definitely will do again; if they can find better roads this will be a 5/5

No comments: