Saturday, November 10, 2007

Run Off at the Ranch

Don, Wilhe and I ran a 10K today (and Jonathan & Alexis and my family did the Fun Walk), but the Run Off at the Ranch wasn't much of a race. The right elements were there - organized by RunOn!, ChampionChip timing, after-race festivities including bounce houses and petting zoo for the kids, and a live band (who didn't sound half-bad) - but unfortunately only 13 people showed up. We talked to a race official afterwards, and he conceded that there wasn't enough promotion and the race length (10K instead of a 5K) probably hurt turn-out since the location was far from "traditional" runnning venues. All the families in Sendera Ranch probably just wanted to sleep in on a Saturday morning!

Aside from the turnout, it was hard to complain. The weather was fantastic (in the low 70s). The out-and-back course was very nice - mostly following the "hike & bike" trails of the Sendera Ranch community. There were two water stops (which were each hit twice) but they could have been spaced out a bit better. They were at Mile 2 and Mile 2.9 (and thus Mile 3.3 and Mile 4.2) - I would think that Mile 1.25/4.9 and Mile 2.5/3.7 would have been better choices.

My pace started off way too fast - I was third in the pack and trying to keep up with the 18-year-old who ran a 6:00 mile - but settled into about a 7:30/mi pace. That was still a little too ambitious since I was pretty tired at the half-way turnaround point. It didn't help that there was a little bit of a hill right after that (around Mile 3.5) and I got passed by the third-place finisher. I ended up being fourth overall. I know it's only out of 13, but I'll take it anyway. :-)

I ended up completing the 6.2 miles in 50:21 for an 8:07/mi pace. I was hoping to break 8:00/mi but I'm definitely getting faster regardless. Full race results at http://www.runontexas.com/Results/Fall2007/RunOffattheRanch2007/RanchOverall.HTM

As a "report card", right now, I'm running at the following speeds for these distances

  • 5K (treadmill - no incline): 7:07/mi
  • 5K (at end of Monster Tri): 8:02/mi
  • 10K (today): 8:07/mi
  • 15K (FWRC Labor Day): 8:53/mi
  • 20K (Tour Des Fleurs): 9:03/mi
  • Half-Marathon (DRC Half): 8:39/mi

So I think my current running goals are:

  • 5K: 7:30/mi (or faster?!?)
  • 10K: 8:00/mi
  • 15K: 8:15/mi
  • 20K/Half: 8:30/mi

Next weekend, I'm planning to do another half-marathon with the Fort Worth Runners Club (FWRC Mote In Motion). It may be tough to beat the DRC time, though, since Fort Worth's Trinity Trails are hillier than White Rock Lake and it will be the day after I do a 71-mile bike ride (Denton Turkey Roll), but I'm going to try it anyway!

No comments: