Monday, November 19, 2007

Weekend Brick

Two big events in one weekend. Am I crazy? Maybe. Happy? Definitely. I was able to slog through a 76.5 mile bike ride and a half-marathon in a 25-hour time period (9:00 AM Saturday through 10:00 AM Sunday) and today I actually feel pretty good.

I tried to pay close attention to recovery - stretching and muscle massage after the events, immediate recovery drinks (Accelerade in my cooler), and getting serious carbs and protein in post race meals - and I think that really helped. A few aches and pains: a sore back (probably still lingering from 5 hours on the bike), minor blisters on the toes and (ironically) sore hips and lower abs ... from where my hung-too-low-and/or-too-tightly Fuel Belt's water bottles were rubbing for nearly two hours!

On the plus side, my legs, knees, and ankles feel great. For the last few long runs, walking down stairs was quite painful "the day after"; not the case, today! Walking is no problem and I'll definitely be up for spin class tomorrow (though I may be there by myself with the short Thanksgiving holiday week). However, even if I were a girl, I don't think I'd be wearing heels. :-)

No comments: